Elderberry was most recently seen on The Walking Dead (amazing show). They used it to help the sick get better! Mountain Rose Herbs states that you can find Elderberry growing in moist areas along rivers, roads, and in forests, this immune boosting botanical has a long history of use in traditional European medicine. Elderberry syrup is a proven remedy for preventing and recovering from the flu, colds, excessive mucus, sore throats, and contains large amounts of antioxidants, potassium, beta carotene, calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin C.
Take a tablespoon daily to ward off illness and a teaspoon every 2-3 hours while sick. For children under 2, add the syrup to hot water to kill any microbes in the honey. You can even drizzle the delicious syrup over pancakes, yogurt, or ice cream!
Elderberry Syrup Recipe
- 1 cup fresh or 1/2 cup dried organic Elderberries (harvest blue or black, avoid poisonous reds) –
- 3 cups water –
- 1 cup raw local honey –
- 1 organic Cinnamon stick,
- 3 organic Cloves, and organic Ginger (optional)
- Place berries, water, and spices in a saucepan and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Smash the berries to release remaining juice
- Strain the mixture.
- Allow liquid to cool and stir in honey.
Will last for 2-3 months stored in the fridge.